Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Summary of Taxes Paid to Other States

Hello,

I am a US alien resident. In 2021 I was a part year resident in Baltimore (MD) (01/01/2021-11/30/2021) and part year resident in Washington DC (12/01/2021-12/31/2021). I went through my state taxes forms for Maryland and now I am trying to file the one for DC. There are two sections not really clear to me:

1- Subtractions From Federal Income, Part-year: enter any income received while residing outside DC. I suppose here I need to put the total salary earned in Baltimore from Jan to Nov 2021, right?

2- Credit for Tax Paid to Another State. In December I was living in DC but working still in Baltimore Maryland. Should I put the income for that month in this section? Is this a Double-taxed income? If so, where do I check the Tax Paid to Maryland on Double-Taxed Income?

Thank you very much!!

Francesco

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

You are correct on the first one.  It's asking about all of the income that you earned from outside DC.  The second one wants taxes paid on the income earned in DC to another state.  If Maryland taxed you on it then you would report it here in order to avoid double-taxation.  If Maryland did not then leave it blank.  If you prepare the Maryland return first then TurboTax should populate the field for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much for the reply. Apologize for the naive question, how do I know if Maryland taxed me on the income (1 month) while living in DC? I did file the Maryland form first and turbotax did not populate the field. I assume I should leave it blank then.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

@fmazzio  That seems reasonable.  They really shouldn't be taxing each other's income.  You should be good.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies