Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Substantial pay increase and insurance

My partner and I are not married. We have 2 children. We used to each claim one child when neither of us had private insurance through our jobs (medicaid.) My partner has been claiming the kids for the last 2 years to get the payment assistance for the insurance premium because he got a job that offers medical and we wanted the kids covered. I continued to be on state insurance until I landed a job in July that increased my income 150 percent. Since my partner has been claiming the kids, I filed my w4 as zero and now they take almost 40 percent of my income each check. I currently don't have insurance but will hopefully after the first of the year. What do you suggest for tax time ( i think if i try to claim the kids well have to pay a penalty for the insurance and if i dont ill contibur to hemmorage money) and what to change next year so we can keep as much money as we can through the year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

There's not much you can do.  If you did (for example) claim your children as dependents, you would reduce the tax you owe but you would increase the tax your partner owes.  If your partner's income is substantially higher than yours, their tax might go up by more than yours goes down.  

It's not clear to me that you partner's employer would be required to penalize them if they enrolled in insurance coverage for the children but didn't claim them as dependents.  Your partner's biological children should be eligible for insurance coverage even if they are not claimed as dependents.  

Remember that withholding is only an estimate of the taxes you owe, your actual tax bill is calculated on your tax return.  If you are over-withheld, you get the difference back in your refund.  40% seems high, that could be 22% federal (if you are single making more than about $50,000), plus 7.65% medicare and social security (everyone pays that, you can't do anything about it), and 10% state tax?  Sounds a bit high but could be in California I suppose.

You can prepare different test tax returns.  In general, if the partner who pays more than half the household expenses claims at least one child, that partner can use head of household filing status, which has lower rates than single.  But only one of you can be head of household, the other must use single status.

If you pay for child care so you can both work, there is a credit for that, which is a bit larger for lower income taxpayers, but not by much.  The lower income taxpayer might qualify for EIC (but if the lower income taxpayer claims both children the higher income taxpayer loses the ability to claim head of household.)

There's no right answer, you need a tax professional who can review your confidential details with you or you can prepare different tax returns using different combinations of situations.

LoriLeighEA
Employee Tax Expert

Hi MCname - thanks for joining us today!

Congratulations on the new job! Here is our tax estimator calculator to figure out what you should be withholding from your paychecks:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

Here is our link that explains in detail about Form W4 and your take home pay:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/irs-tax-forms/form-w-4-and-your-take-home-pay/L4VSEhPez

If your partner is claiming your children as dependents they could claim head of household status when filing their taxes. They would have to provide over half the cost of keeping up the home. This would give a higher tax break for the year. For more information click on this link: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/guide-to-filing-taxes-as-head-of-household/L4Nx6DYu9

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies