Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abby29

Stuck in Loop re: HDHP coverage

I was covered by my SELF HDHP with HSA plan for the entire year of 2023.  However, I lived in my parents home for 10 of those months and am claimed as a dependent on their return, making me UNQUALIFIED for the HSA deduction in 2023.  Fine.  The Intuit software will not permit me to file until I correct From 8889-T lines 3A(1-12) showing all the months of the year.  It will accept NONE of the possible answers  (NONE, SELF, or FAMILY).

Line 3 Smart Worksheet
A     Select your coverage for each month below. Select Family for any month you had Self-only coverage and your spouse had family coverage. Select None for for any month you were covered by Medicare.

Why does my living with my parents have anything to do with my HDHP and HSA anyway?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Stuck in Loop re: HDHP coverage

You are not allowed to contribute to an HSA if you can be claimed as a dependent (even if you aren't, just the possibility is enough).

In the HSA interview, did you indicate that you were not covered by an HDHP? Yes, I know you had a Self HDHP policy, but that was negated by your status as being claimable as a dependent.

Go back to the HSA interview and first check the box that you had an HSA (if it isn't already). Then, when you see the screen that asks, "Was [name] covered by a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) in 2023?", enter that "No, I did not have coverage".

Now when you get to the Review, if you get this same objection (probably for Line 1), enter Self to get you past the objection. When you said "No" on the previous question, this caused the calculations to be correct, so it won't matter that you enter Self for Line 1.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies