Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State Wage Data Reconciliation for TurboTax - Box 14 & Box 16

Hi! I'm working on wrapping up a New Jersey state tax return filing in TT. I already went through my Federal, inputting all my box 14 data which included pension 414h contributions and section 125 cafeteria plan. It appears that Turbotax has automatically added that information to the state return data based on the NJ state W-2 wage summary it shows me, however it asks me to make "other W-2 adjustments" and references adding things like pension and cafeteria plan data.

I'm pretty sure if I add these adjustments, they'll be double counted by the software. Anyone run across this before and have advice if TT automatically transitions that data from Fed to State return? My process for this is simply taking my box 16 W-2 info (state wages) and just making sure that number reconciles with my NJ wages/income summary data that TT shows after I skip to the end. The reason it gives me pause is because when I add up the automatically calculated state wage data it matches the W2s for the state wages, making it appears that the box 14 data I input for the Federal was added back for the state portion automatically by the TT software.

Thank you in advance for any insights!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

State Wage Data Reconciliation for TurboTax - Box 14 & Box 16

Most of the time those amounts in box 14 are just informational.  They're really not even necessary to type in.  New Jersey, unfortunately, has some of the exceptions to that rule and those are what's holding you up.  

NJFLI (Family and Leave Insurance), NJSDI (disability insurance), NJUI/WF/SWF (unemployment) and NJ125 (medical) are often hiccups.  But they are included the amount in boxes 3 and 5 and excluded from the amount in box 16 where it's applicable so you sometimes have to be careful with the questions the system asks about them in the state tax return.  They should not be increasing your New Jersey taxable income.

@Doubleup23 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies