Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State tax on inherited 401k

I inherited a 401k in 2017 and it was paid out in 2022 due to the 5 year rule. I know I can pay the federal tax when I do my taxes in 2023 because 20% federal tax was withheld from the 401k distribution which would be well in excess of 110% of my 2021 federal tax.

The question I have is nothing was withheld for state, so do I have to pay that estimated amount I would owe the state now or can that just be paid when I do my taxes next year? This would be for NJ. Basically, I am hoping to hold on to the money and earn some interest on it until the time comes to pay, if possible. 

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Joe_D-CPA-PFS-CFP
Employee Tax Expert

State tax on inherited 401k

Hi Frank51281,

Thanks for the question. It looks like you have a pretty good grasp on the federal side of things. In regard to New Jersey, you have the option to make an estimated tax payment. Here is the link to the NJ Tax Site that provides instructions.

New Jersey’s Income Tax is a “pay-as-you-go” tax. You must pay the tax as you earn or receive income throughout the year. If the balance of tax due with your return is more than $400, and you did not pay your required estimated payments, you will be charged interest on the underpayment. This is true even if you pay all the tax due by the return due date.

For estimated tax purposes, the year is divided into four payment periods, each with a specific due date. If your estimated payments are made late, interest charges will be assessed from the due date of the payment(s) to the actual payment date(s). Interest is assessed at the annual rate of 3% above the prime rate. At the end of each calendar year, any tax, penalties, and interest still due become part of the balance on which interest is charged. Technical Bulletin TB-21(R) shows current and historical interest rates.

Feel free to follow up with additional questions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies