Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Starting a freelance art business

I’m trying to jump start a fine art photography business & have, between last year and this, spent quite a bit on supplies, framing, and entering competitions for exposure and credibility, etc. Last year I didn’t have any income from my work yet, although I had start up expenses, so didn’t write any of it off. This year, so far, I won a prize in a photo competition, but only have $24 in sales. How does that work for my taxes? Are prizes from related work counted as earned income or something else? And can I write off the cost of supplies leading up to the prize (the winning acrylic print was paid for in 2021, but the winner wasn’t announced and prize money paid until 2022). 

Also, I’m looking at using some of the prize money on a new laptop (mine is 7 years old and Apple now considers it obsolete) and photoshop software, and a DSLR camera for the business. Do I get to write that off?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JaredS_CPA
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Hello TraveLynn,

Thank you for participating in our Ask the Expert event today. As to your question, you can write off your expenses from last year even though you didn't have any income. Whatever doesn't offset any other ordinary income can be carried over to this year to offset the prize money. So, yes, the prize money would be considered income and you can expense the cost of supplies regardless of the prize because it is an expense of your business. As to the laptop, software, and camera, yes, you can also expense that. Depending on the cost, you will most likely have the option to expense it all in one year or spread it out over a few years. It'll be your choice when you go through the TurboTax questions on the matter. I hope that helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That helps a lot, thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies