Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SDM21

Standard / Itemized Deductions Federal versus Start (Kansas)

I'm taking the standard deduction on 2023 Federal and I want to take itemized deductions on 2023 state (Kansas).

On 2022 taxes Turbo Tax auto filled a Kansas schedule A form and it looks like I took itemized deductions on state and I took the standard deduction on federal. 

Turbo tax won't auto fill a Kansas Schedule A form and won't give me itemized on state in 2023.

What am I doing wrong?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Did you enter your itemized deductions when in the federal section?

TAD6
Returning Member

My desktop TurboTax is doing the same thing.  Standard deduction on Federal but not itemizing on Kansas.  It appears the Schedule A for Kansas is filled out but the program is still using standard.

When will TurboTax fix this problem?

ee-ea
Level 15

Fed standard deduction State itemized

AL, CA, DE, HI, ID, KY, MN, MS, MT, NY, NC, OR & WI

EDIT

KS should be added to this list.

I just copied the below from the Kansas DOR website.  It appears that Kansas should be on that list as well.

Can I itemize my Kansas deductions?

You may itemize your deductions on your Kansas return even if you did not itemize your deductions on your federal return. To compute your Kansas itemized deductions, you must complete the Kansas Schedule A.

https://www.ksrevenue.gov/faqs-taxii.html

I was able to force Turbotax Deluxe to take Kansas itemized deductions when I took the standard deduction on Federal by clicking on the 'Forms' icon, navigating to the Kansas Info Wks form, Part IV - Standard Deductions/vs Itemized Deduction and manually checking the 'Itemize even if itemized deductions are less than the Standard Deduction' check box.   Since my itemized Kansas deductions were greater than the Kansas standard deduction, this provided me a larger refund.

TAD6
Returning Member

That work around using the Ks Worksheet form and checking the box did work.

Thank you.

jimpatkt

Larry210's workaround bailed me out.  Thanks for the tip!

meade8079

Noticed the same issue here. Initially found the issue when toggling between taking Standard dedication and Itemized. When I selected Itemized, my Kansas amount owed turned into a refund amount.

ALSO, just found that there is some other bug that for some reason prevents the $2250 Kansas Exemption allowance to appear on form K40 row/item 5. Filed several of my kids' state return and just noticed in the box in TT this item is 0 but should be set to $2,250. Beware, this will likely affect your return if you don't check it. There is nothing I've noticed in TurboTax to fix this. It almost appears to have been omitted in the place of the Disabled Veterans Exemption allowance. Entering 1 here appears to artificially correct the issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies