Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Standard deduction for federal and itemized for California but no longer have receipt for vehicle purchase

Standard deduction for federal and itemized for California but no longer have receipt for vehicle purchase. I need to add the purchase date and purchase price of vehicle. I plan to take standard deduction for federal and itemize for state but I no longer have reciept for the vehicle since it is over 10 years. Can I still take deduction? I have the 1098-C and plan to use the value for that but I don't have the vehicle reciept anymore even though I need the exact value from that 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Standard deduction for federal and itemized for California but no longer have receipt for vehicle purchase

Since you can only deduct the value of the vehicle at the time it was donated, and not the original purchase price, which would typically have been higher, keep whatever records you have that establish that you owned the vehicle as described on Form 1098-C. 

For any contribution of $250 or more (including contributions of cash or property), you must obtain and keep in your records a contemporaneous written acknowledgment from the qualified organization indicating the amount of the cash and a description of any property other than cash contributed. The acknowledgment must say whether the organization provided any goods or services in exchange for the gift and, if so, must provide a description and a good faith estimate of the value of those goods or services. One document from the qualified organization may satisfy both the written communication requirement for monetary gifts and the contemporaneous written acknowledgment requirement for all contributions of $250 or more.

See IRS Topic 506 for more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies