turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SSA 1099 Refund & IRMAA Tax

I retired from local government on December 2020 and is receiving my own pension from local government only.  Prior to my retirement, I also received spousal support payments from SSI and continued till December 2021.  On the last week of December 2021, I was told that I didn’t qualify to receive Spousal SSI payments for2021 due to my own retirement benefits is higher than what they had paid me. I was told to refund $11K which I did and it was only last month in 2022 that they processed my refund.

Question 1: Two weeks ago, I received my SSA1099 showing the total amount I received in 2021 and Box 4 (Benefit Repaid) was “None”. Does that mean the refund I repaid in 2022 doesn’t count towards my 2021 Tax reporting?  Should I expect to receive a corrected SSA 1099 with my repayment in Box 4?

Question 2:  Our Joint AGI in 2019 & 2020 required my wife and I to pay the IRMAA for Medicare Part B & D.  My wife payment was deducted from her SSI benefits every month.  Since SSI paid me in 2021 with my premiums & IRMAA deducted, as I also received my standard Part B Premium reimbursement only from my own retirement benefit.  The question is:  the refund I paid back also include the payments of my IRMAAs of $59.40 &$12.30 each month.  Is that amount ($71.70 x 12 month) tax deductible?  If so, is there a form I should expect Medicare or SSI to furnish me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies