Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Ssa-1099 file seperatly for my children's support

I receive disability. My children recieve benifits due to my disability. How do I file
1 Reply
New Member

Ssa-1099 file seperatly for my children's support

 Do not report your child(rens) SSA-1099 form on your income tax return. Your child or other dependent would report their SSA-1099 on their own return, but only if they make enough income to be required to file (this is uncommon). If Social Security is your dependent's only income, they most likely don't need to file a return.

In cases where both you and your dependent receive Social Security benefits on the same check, and the check is made out to you, only report your portion of the benefits on your return.

Any SSA-1099 form, regardless of the suffix, gets entered the same way:

  1. Open your tax return in TurboTax online.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax, see your Tax Timeline, and click ‘Take me to my return.’)
  2. Using the Search feature in the upper right corner of the screen, enter SSA-1099 and perform the search. Then click on Jump to SSA-1099, which is the first item in the search results.
  3. Select Yes, let's work on Social Security benefits and click Continue.
  4. Check the first box, Form SSA-1099.
  5. Enter the amounts for yourself and your jointly-filing spouse, if they received an SSA-1099 also.
    • SSA-1099s for children and other dependents are not reported on your return. They should report it on their own return, but only if they're required to file a return for some other reason (this is uncommon).
  6. Click Continue

TurboTax will automatically calculate what portion, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings