Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spousal owned single member LLC for consulting. Only employee is other spouse working as a 1099

My wife started an LLC since she consults for several companies. I retired from full employment and will work as a consultant to my former employer as a 1099. We have discussed having me as the only employee of my wife's LLC and my former company is a client of the LLC. What information do I provide my former employer on a W-9? Do I list the LLC's EIN, my SSN? Can't find a clear answer. Ultimately, we want the LLC to be the supplier of services to my former employer. I just happen to be the "staff" assigned to their account.

The LLC will then pay me a "salary" and issue a W-2.

How is this best done?

Thanks for your help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Spousal owned single member LLC for consulting. Only employee is other spouse working as a 1099

You are correct.

I've edited my answers.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

As your wife's LLC is a disregarded entity for tax purposes, the W-9 should be filled out with the name and SSN of its owner.

[Edited 02/04/24 | 9:44 AM PST]

Thanks for the response. I had read somewhere that I should only use the EIN if the LLC was going to be taxed as a Corporation. I am assuming we will still treat the LLC from a tax standpoint as a "disregarded entity" and fill put a Schedule C. Was I wrong in that interpretation?

Thanks so much. 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

The single-member LLC is a disregarded entity and is reported on Schedule C of your wife's tax return. You can use the LLC's EIN for employment and excise tax returns, but should use the owner's name and SSN on form W-9.

[Edited 02/04/24 | 9:47 AM PST]

I just found this on the IRS website:

For federal income tax purposes, a single-member LLC classified as a disregarded entity generally must use the owner's social security number (SSN) or employer identification number (EIN) for all information returns and reporting related to income tax. For example, if a disregarded entity LLC that is owned by an individual is required to provide a Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) and Certification, the W-9 should provide the owner’s SSN or EIN, not the LLC’s EIN.

This implies I should use my spouse's SSN on the W-9 not the LLC's EIN since she is the owner of the LLC. 

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You are correct.

I've edited my answers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies