Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bobluck
Returning Member

Spent the morning filing amended returns for '21 '22 TurboTax Desktop missed Military Retirement Deduction for NC

Spent the morning filing amended returns for '21 '22 TT missed Military Retirement Deduction, I know I should have reviewed more carefully, but was lulled into a sense of security with the error check. If you check your own work, you will almost miss the error you made. The "Retirement Benefits Deduction Worksheet" was filled out and I assume this happened when the 1099R was entered, and was listed as eligible for the NC Deduction. However the amount was not carried down to line 5 of that form, meaning it never populated D-400 School S, line 20. Meaning Sch S was not filed with my taxes in '21 and '22. Without Sch S the eligible deduction never made it back to Line 9 on form D-400. Meaning I was taxed on money that was eligible for a deduction. Luckily I caught it today when preparing to file '23 taxes and was able to go back and spend quite a bit of time correcting this error. 

My question is was this my mistake, or a bug in TurboTax? I know even this year I had to open the form directly and populate "Retirement Benefits Deduction Worksheet" line 5, which triggered the addition of Sch S, which forced Line 9 on D-400 to populate.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bobluck
Returning Member

Spent the morning filing amended returns for '21 '22 TurboTax Desktop missed Military Retirement Deduction for NC

Thanks, that's what I was trying to do when I landed here. Seems reporting directly to Intuit, is harder than it should be.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You might want to contact Support for this issue.

How do I contact TurboTax? (intuit.com)

bobluck
Returning Member

Thanks, that's what I was trying to do when I landed here. Seems reporting directly to Intuit, is harder than it should be.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies