Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

db1996
Returning Member

SPDR Gold Trust Proceeds and how to report them

I held SPDR Gold Trust shares in 2023 and never sold any of them. However, I see proceeds in my 1099-B form. I know these are the sales the trust makes to cover its expenses but for each sale, what do I put for the date acquired field on TurboTax? Is it okay if I just put the date of the sale as the date acquired? I am planning to put $0 for the cost basis for each sale too since I don't want to deal with trying to calculate them. I know I will be paying more taxes than I am supposed to this way but my total gain will be around $1 so no need to spend the extra time. I would appreciate all your help! If you have any advice as to how to determine cost basis for each, I am also open to them. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Since you are willing to have a cost basis of zero the only additional important decision is to whether you held the asset more or less than a year so choose an appropriate date for that criterion. 

db1996
Returning Member

@Bsch4477 Should I just put the date I purchased SPDR GOLD Trust for the last time just to be safe? I don’t really care if they all look like short term investments. Also, how would someone go about actually filling the date required field if they were to not put $0 for the cost basis? Thank you!

Use your best judgment. 

SPDR explains how to calculate the gain in the following PDF (there are examples).

https://www.spdrgoldshares.com/media/GLD/file/SPDR-Gold-Trust-Tax-Information-2023.pdf

This post explains the work required:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/investing/3343489-joys-gld-income-tax-reporting-spdr.html#google_vig...

It does seem like a lot of work for someone with a tiny amount of gain, and they should have just provided a calculator for folks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies