turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Son was away at college for only a semester, but did not live with me the next semester. Legally claim as a dependent and provided my information for FASFA. Qualify?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

Son was away at college for only a semester, but did not live with me the next semester. Legally claim as a dependent and provided my information for FASFA. Qualify?

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question? Are you asking if your son qualifies as a dependent on your return?

Who qualifies as a dependent?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

there are two tests for dependents.

Under the qualifying relative rules, your son qualifies as a dependent if he has less than $4700 of taxable income and you paid more than half his support.  It doesn't matter if he is a student or where he lives.

Under the qualifying child rules, your son must be a full time student under age 24, and live with you more than half the year.  Full time student in this case means attended school full time (as defined by the school) for part of at least 5 different months.  So usually, attending college for one semester with a full time course load counts as being a "full time student" for the dependent test, even if the person was not in school the rest of the year. 

For the "lived with you half the year" test, the child is considered to live with you even while they are away for a temporary absence.  Being away at college is usually considered a temporary absence because the child still "lives at home" (their stuff is still at home, they return home for school breaks, they may intend to return home after graduation.)  It is certainly possible for a student to establish a new permanent home that is not with their parents, and this depends on the facts and circumstances.  If your child lives in an apartment with 5 other students, you pay the rent, and they come home for summer, they still probably live at home since the apartment is not much different than a dorm.  If the student gets their own apartment with a spouse or partner, and takes other steps to make it their new permanent home (collecting their summer or winter clothing, furniture and other significant personal items) then they may have moved out and no longer "live at home" -- then you have to look at the dates to see whether the lived at home or could be considered to live at home for more or less than half the year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies