Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JamesThurber
Returning Member

Solar credit and depreciation

In 2022 we installed a $25K solar power-generating system on our home.  We also run an in-home daycare that typically averages between 52% & 54% for business use of home (Form 8829) percentages.

Since we run a business from our home I know that the solar credits and depreciation can get crazy.  I believe that we should be able to take the personal solar credit (Form 5695), the business investment solar credit (Form 3468), and depreciation on the system based on the business use percentage.

I am trying to figure out the credits and depreciation basis for this year.  I know that for depreciation we have the option of taking the bonus depreciation on the business portion of the solar.

If our business use percentage is 50% this year, would I take 1/2 the install cost as the basis of the personal solar credit (Form 5695), 50% as the basis of the business investment solar credit (Form 3468), and then the remaining amount after the business credit as the basis for depreciation?  Does any of the basis go on Form 8829?

Thanks in advance for the help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Solar credit and depreciation

Your calculations for the solar credit seem to be spot on.

The cost of the solar panels minus the amount received as credits is added to the adjusted basis of the home.  The adjusted basis of the home does appear on the 8829 in order to calculate the depreciation allowed and allowable for the year.

@JamesThurber 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies