turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Why was we asked to report our lines for Tax year 2020 - 2021

Hello,

While I was filing our taxes I was near the end and it gave me an error to check on lines reported for Social Security Benefits Paid in Tax Years 2020 - 2021 possibly reported on 1040 lines 6a or 6b  well, we did not start claiming Social Security Benefits for my Husband until 2022.

Then when he decided to start this from when he was eligible to start claiming this, he signed up for this in September of 2022 I do believe, but they back dated this for I believe 8 months were he got a one time distribution to pay back the months that he was eligible for and then his monthly payments thereafter.   So I did report this and I am hoping that this did not consider this as additional income by me doing this.  I did.  The amount that flag that wanted me to override was showing the amount that was carried over from 2022. however I changed that to zero since nothing was paid in 2021 nor 2020 and it seemed to make my taxes go up even higher by taking that number out?  So was this right by taking that number out of that field?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

I want to make sure if that number I took out needs to go back in that I plug that number back in.

Regards,

Elaine C

[phone number removed]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Social Security Why was we asked to report our lines for Tax year 2020 - 2021

Please clarify your question.

Unfortunately, we can't see your screen to see where you are, so I'll have to ask you a couple of questions.

I know you have a question about Social Security, and payments from previous years.  I'm not sure of all of the circumstances, so I'd like to clarify them.

While I was filing our taxes I was near the end and it gave me an error to check on lines reported for Social Security Benefits Paid in Tax Years 2020 - 2021 possibly reported on 1040 lines 6a or 6b well, 

• Was this when you were in the REVIEW section?  There isn't a question like that in the body of the program.

we did not start claiming Social Security Benefits for my Husband until 2022.

• That seems clear that you had no Social Security in 2021, but your husband did in 2022.

Then when he decided to start this from when he was eligible to start claiming this, he signed up for this in September of 2022 I do believe, 

• Your husband started in 2022, and requested payments from the time he was eligible.

but they back dated this for I believe 8 months were he got a one time distribution to pay back the months that he was eligible for and then his monthly payments thereafter. 

• Social Security sent a lump sum check for the amount due back to the date he was eligible.

So I did report this and I am hoping that this did not consider this as additional income by me doing this. 

• I'm not sure what you did.
    • This should have already been reported on your 2022 tax return.
    • Did you also post it somewhere on your 2023 tax return?
    • I'm not saying it's wrong, I just want to figure it out.

The amount that flag that wanted me to override was showing the amount that was carried over from 2022. 

• Again, I don't understand
    • What do you mean by flagged?
    • Was this on your 2023 tax return?
    • Was the 2022 amount already carried over and posted to the 2023 tax return?

however I changed that to zero since nothing was paid in 2021 nor 2020 and it seemed to make my taxes go up even higher by taking that number out?  

• So, did you post zero for both 2021 and 2022?

So was this right by taking that number out of that field?

• I'm not sure!

I want to make sure if that number I took out needs to go back in that I plug that number back in.

• Please respond with some additional details, and we can figure this out.

When posting your answer, please include @JohnB5677 so that I can confirm your response.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies