Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Tax Withheld

TurboTax indicated too much SS tax was paid and that I will get a credit on my tax return. The actual wording states: 

When you file your tax return the following year, you can claim a refund from the IRS for Social Security taxes withheld that exceed the maximum amount.

Do I receive a credit automatically for this year's tax 2023 or next year 2024?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did you have more than one W-2 and from different companies? I just want to make sure which condition triggered this message.

If it is the "common" case of two high dollar W-2s withholding in the aggregate more than $9,932.40 for Social Security tax on a maximum SS Wage base of $160,000, then TurboTax will calculate the excess (over $9,932.40) and put it on line 11, Schedule 3 (1040) on your 2023 return.

If this was triggered by a different condition, then the return of the excess may happen differently.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

Did you have more than one W-2 and from different companies? I just want to make sure which condition triggered this message.

If it is the "common" case of two high dollar W-2s withholding in the aggregate more than $9,932.40 for Social Security tax on a maximum SS Wage base of $160,000, then TurboTax will calculate the excess (over $9,932.40) and put it on line 11, Schedule 3 (1040) on your 2023 return.

If this was triggered by a different condition, then the return of the excess may happen differently.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

if you have a spouse that got a w-2 make sure it's checked as your spouse's. there have been some threads  about taxpayers claiming excess social security withheld because they miscoded their spouses W-2. if they are all you w-2's you'll get a tax credit on your return. if it's one employer over withholding, you go back to them for a refund.

if they refuse you would ned to file form 843 and attach a copy of tour w-2 that has the overwithholding. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies