Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social security tax overpayment

I worked two jobs during the year and each employer withheld social security taxes. I know I can get refund of overpayment  that was withheld from me on schedule 3. But half of the tax is paid by the employer. That half was also overpaid. What happens with that? Do I get the refund for the employer's half? Does IRS automatically send refund to an employer? Which one? I would like to understand what happens.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Nothing.  Each employer was required to pay into the system based on the employees in their employ.  Doesn't matter whether they overpaid or not.  Your employer - based on his payroll - did not.  Fair or no, that cash goes into the general kitty.

@000000000000 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I also have self-employment income. Do I need to pay employer-portion of the Social Security even though I know it is over the annual limit due to salaries from other employers?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

No, TurboTax will only apply the Medicare portion of the Self-Employment tax on your SE income.   You can look at Schedule SE to see the limitation applied; Line 8a will be larger than Line 7, so the SS portion will be skipped over on the form.    And half of that tax is subtracted on Line 15 of Schedule 1 as an adjustment to income on Form 1040.  

I also own an S-corp that pays me some small salary. Does the S-corp need to overpay its half of social security even though it knows that the annual limit is already exceeded by other employers?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Yes.   Each W-2, or each Employer Identification number (EIN) would withhold social security tax up to $9,932.40, regardless of knowledge of other employers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies