turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Smart Check Error - Schedule K-3 - Box 16: Foreign Transactions - Line J col 3

Hi,

I received a Schedule K-1 for 2021 taxes, and now for 2022 taxes, I received Sch. K-1 and K-3. TT says I have a carryover from 2021 taxes. Below is a sequence of all info I have entered thus far. The Smart Check has returned an error that is listed at the bottom. I need your help to determine what values or answer choices were answered that resulted in this error. I request you to take a look at the following sequence of answers and see if you find any calculation errors. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

Note: In Section 199A the Trade & Business is listed as Fast Food Restaurant. The dollar values used in the following description are approximate. I live in California State.

Schedule K-1: Box1 = -4342; Box14 = A: 0; Box15 = N: 68; Box16 = X; Box18 = C: STMT; Box20 = N: 669, Z: STMT, AG: $55401

Schedule K-3: Part II, Sec 1, Line 1A = U.S., and Column (a) & (g) = $56,008; Line 24A = US, and Column (a) & (g) = $56,008; Part II, Sec 2, Line 54 = Column (a) & (g) = $60,350; Part III, Sec 4, Line 1Paid = 0, 1Accured = 0, 2Reduction of Taxes (total) = 0. For all columns between b to f the value is zero

TT, Schedule K-3:

1. Sch K-3, Part II, Sec 1, Line 24A = US, and Column (a) and (g) = $56,008 (values for columns 24b to 24f = zero). For Foreign Country or US Possession, the dropdown excludes the U.S. option. Is it ok to select the default option "(not applicable)"?
  2. For "Enter Gross Income Info" = values were entered in six boxes in sequence as = 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, and 56,005. FYI the Sum of lines 39, 40, 41, 42, and 43 is blank = zero. 
  3. For "Enter Deduction Info" = values were entered in six boxes in sequence as = 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, and 0. The "Deduction allocated at individual level - Interest expense", and "Deduction allocated at individual level - Other" were calculated as zero. FYI the Sum of lines 39, 40, 41, 42, and 43 is blank = zero. Line 54f = zero. Have I made an error calculating values for both Interest Expense and Others for the Deduction allocated at individual level?
  4. For "Entering foreign tax information" = values were entered in three boxes in sequence as = 0, 0, and 0. All boxes were blank as the form Part 3, Sec 4, pages 8 and 9 were blank.
  5. For "Describe the Partnership": two options were auto-selected - a) I have passive activity losses carried over from last year, and b) All of my investment in this activity is at risk. Can you provide guidance on what info I should review to confirm these two options? And if I unknowingly unselect one or both options, will it affect the taxes in any way?
  6. "Report Carryovers - Regular Tax" = "-1939"
  7. "Any other carryovers?" - none
  8. "Report AMT Carryovers", Box 1 = "-1939"
  9. "Report Other AMT Carryovers" = none
  10. "Any Qualified Business Income (QBI) Carryovers?" QBI suspended loss - passive = "-1939"
  11. Enter info about passive losses. For this section values for both Regular Tax "-1939" and QBI Deduction "-1939" for the 2021 year were populated automatically
  12. Section 199A income comes from the partnership that generated this K-1
  13. Entered Section 199A income as Ordinary Business Income (loss) = -4342; W-2 wages = 18087; UBIA = 8131
  14. Uncommon adjustments = none of these apply
  15. My taxable income does not exceed #340100. So answered a No
  16. In 2021, did you have any activities on your return that were classified as SSTBs or had income attributable to SSTBs? In Section 199A the Trade & Business is listed as Fast Food Restaurant. Referring to TT article "Is my Business an SSTB?", I saw "Restaurants and Food trucks" listed under "Business that are not SSTB" section. So with that reference, I answered NO to that question. Is this a valid choice?

Smart Check Error:

Sch K-1 Wks-Partnerships - Sch K-1 Partnership Additional Info. 1: Foreign other expenses allocated at partner level are listed but no foreign source income at individual level has been listed on the K-1 Additional information worksheet line 1.

Fgn Tax Ln J Ln 3 col 3 = "0"

Box 16: Foreign Transactions - Line J col 3 - Other expenses allocated at partner level - Foreign is shown as red font "0"

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies