Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

his1964

Since we are married but reside in different states, what do I do when I get to the state form and it defaults to non resident?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

Since we are married but reside in different states, what do I do when I get to the state form and it defaults to non resident?

If one of you is a non-resident, most states will default to the non-resident form as that is the requirement.

Because you are residents of different states, you should file as 'married filing separately' for the states, even though you filed a joint federal return. Each state return would include only the income and tax items for the resident spouse.  To do this in Turbo Tax, see this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

If one of you is a non-resident, most states will default to the non-resident form as that is the requirement.

Because you are residents of different states, you should file as 'married filing separately' for the states, even though you filed a joint federal return. Each state return would include only the income and tax items for the resident spouse.  To do this in Turbo Tax, see this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hyao1

Quick question... NY state MUST efile when preparing its return with software, but this MOCK approach says you have to post-mail state return. So can I efile NY state return and skip the MOCK federal return in Turbotax, in other words, will efile NY state grabs MOCK federal return information together? Thanks.
giddo

This is very helpful. However, one piece not explicitly stated here is: When Paper filing State return, I am suppose to include Federal Tax returned filed (Form 1040 I think) with the documents I will mail to the State Department of Revenue. My question is: Am I correct to say that the Federal Tax document that will be mailed together with the the State returns (of MFS) of each person will be the *MFJ* Federal Tax Filing done and *NOT* the mock MFS Federal Filing?
sak6861g

Any responses for "Am I correct to say that the Federal Tax document that will be mailed together with the the State returns (of MFS) of each person will be the *MFJ* Federal Tax Filing done and *NOT* the mock MFS Federal Filing?"???
firefly1

I'm looking for the answer to this question as well. Anyone has done this before?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies