turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Simply trying to upgrade to plus to access previous taxes, but apparently it's impossible.

Already did 2018 taxes so I have to go back into them to even get the upgrade menu on the left. I click it, says I already have plus. Read someone saying that it has to be paid for to activate. If I go to the file tab I'm supposed to have an option to pay the $20 so I can see my own taxes, but every time I click on it I'm told I have to upgrade to deluxe to finsih!?! It shouldn't be this hard to get access to a service I'm trying to pay for! WTF!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Simply trying to upgrade to plus to access previous taxes, but apparently it's impossible.

Here's how to pay for your PLUS upgrade in your already-filed 2018 return (I assume, depending on what you mean by "already did 2018 taxes".)    It's a different method than the steps you were using.

Since you said you have already upgraded to PLUS, I won't include the upgrade steps, but will go directly to the payment steps.  As I mentioned above, this will only work if the 2018 and previous returns are in the SAME account.

If you have already filed your 2018 return, you may already know how to open your 2018 return back up, but I've included that here, too.

• Expand that section and choose 2018.
  • Then click the link "Add a State".  (you aren't really adding one; that just opens the return back up.)
  • Since you said you have already upgraded to PLUS, then you just need to pay.  Do NOT upgrade any farther, or you'll have problems.
  • In the left menu column, click on TAX TOOLS, then choose PRINT CENTER.
  • In the Print Center choose "Print, save, view THIS YEAR's return."   (yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for PLUS 2018 to unlock the prior returns.)  You don't really have to print it.
  • On the next screen choose to PAY NOW.  (for this unlocking purpose, you cannot use the "Pay Later" feature if it's offered.)
  • The next screen will be an Order Summary.  It should show PLUS for 19.99.
  • Next screen says "Pay with Credit Card", but it can also be a debit card or prepaid debit card.
NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

It sounds like you have already upgraded to PLUS after filing a 2018 return, but have not yet paid for it with credit/debit card.

I can give you steps that are different, concise, and easier than the ones you are trying to follow.  I need you to confirm something first, then I'll tell you exactly how to pay.   Whatever you do, if you are already now in PLUS, do NOT upgrade any further, or you'll have problems.

Before I tell you how to pay, please confirm that the previous returns are in the SAME account as what you are using for your 2018 return, and when you try to download/print, it asks you to pay.   This method of unlocking only works automatically if the 2018 and prior returns are in the same account.

In the meantime, I'm going to be writing your answer below on how to pay for PLUS in your already-filed 2018 return, which will be 19.99 by credit/debit card.

You haven't reported back yet.  So in the interest of time, I went ahead and left your answer below.

You said "I already did 2018 taxes", so it's ambiguous what "did" means.   I assume the "did" means "filed", although it could also mean "prepared."  In any case, the payment steps at the Print Center would be the same.  
samlevi3

I accidentally hit another upgrade how do i get it to downgrade back down.?

samlevi3:
So you upgraded beyond PLUS? i.e., are you now in Deluxe or higher?   If you haven't filed your 2018 return, here's how to downgrade by starting over:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2586254-how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-online">https://...>

If you have already filed your 2018 return and upgraded too far, you won't be able to downgrade it yourself.  You'll have to phone TurboTax Support, tell them you accidentally upgraded too far, and ask them to unlock the prior returns.

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax phone number?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263</a>

Here's how to pay for your PLUS upgrade in your already-filed 2018 return (I assume, depending on what you mean by "already did 2018 taxes".)    It's a different method than the steps you were using.

Since you said you have already upgraded to PLUS, I won't include the upgrade steps, but will go directly to the payment steps.  As I mentioned above, this will only work if the 2018 and previous returns are in the SAME account.

If you have already filed your 2018 return, you may already know how to open your 2018 return back up, but I've included that here, too.

• Expand that section and choose 2018.
  • Then click the link "Add a State".  (you aren't really adding one; that just opens the return back up.)
  • Since you said you have already upgraded to PLUS, then you just need to pay.  Do NOT upgrade any farther, or you'll have problems.
  • In the left menu column, click on TAX TOOLS, then choose PRINT CENTER.
  • In the Print Center choose "Print, save, view THIS YEAR's return."   (yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for PLUS 2018 to unlock the prior returns.)  You don't really have to print it.
  • On the next screen choose to PAY NOW.  (for this unlocking purpose, you cannot use the "Pay Later" feature if it's offered.)
  • The next screen will be an Order Summary.  It should show PLUS for 19.99.
  • Next screen says "Pay with Credit Card", but it can also be a debit card or prepaid debit card.
NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies