Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kentuk

Signing Bonus Repayment in subsequent year but before the tax deadline. Deduct from income?

Hello! I am repaying a 2023 signing bonus of $35,000 this month ( Feb 2024), of which around $15,000 was taxes. I have yet to do my 2023 taxes and my former employer will not issue a corrected W2 for 2023. Can I deduct the $35000 from my 2023 income since I have yet to file those taxes or do I have to wait until I file my 2024 taxes to claim a tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Signing Bonus Repayment in subsequent year but before the tax deadline. Deduct from income?

You have to claim the credit or deduction for the repayment on your 2024 tax return because the repayment occurred in 2024. You can't adjust your 2023 income to account for something that happens in 2024. You have to report the full amount of income that you received in 2023, and report the repayment in the year that you pay it. It doesn't matter if you repay it before or after you file your 2023 tax return. What matters is the year in which the transaction actually occurs.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies