Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I report payments made online for an online certificate program? If so, how should I go about reporting it?

The certificate school is called ISSA (international sports science association)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Should I report payments made online for an online certificate program? If so, how should I go about reporting it?

Are you asking because you want to claim an Education Credit? The school must be an eligible institution.

In order to qualify for the Lifetime Learning credit, you must have made tuition and fee payments to a post-secondary school (after high school) during the year.

• You can claim the credit for any post-secondary classes you take; you don't have to be working towards a degree. Some limitations do exist though.
  • If you earn too much income during the year, you may not be eligible to claim the credit. However, this also depends on your filing status.

Claiming the credit

At the end of the year, your educational institution should send you a Form 1098-T that reports your eligible costs. To claim the credit, enter those figures on Form 8863.

• When you prepare the form, you only need to complete parts 3 and 6 to calculate the credit amount you are eligible for.
  • Transfer the credit amount to your income tax return.
  • Be sure to attach Form 8863 to your tax return before sending to the IRS.

Employee Business Expense

Are you asking about deducting an employee expense? These were eliminted in 2018 by TCJA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies