Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I report interest from IRS in 2023 or 2024 with no 1099-INT?

I amended a return from 2021. I received $400 in interest from the amendment.

Unfortunately I received the refund check at the end of December 2023 and I received the notice of the refund in January 2024. I have not received a 1099-INT for this interest and I am not sure if I should report this on my taxes for 2023 or if I should report this on my taxes for 2024 since they may be sending a 1099-INT next year instead.

Which year should I report the interest?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Should I report interest from IRS in 2023 or 2024 with no 1099-INT?

Since you received the actual check in 2023, it would make sense to report the interest income on your 2023 return.  Take a look at the notice of refund letter you received and make sure it does not show a date paid or something similar to justify reporting it in 2023 or 2024.  It may even include a statement that serves as a substitute Form 1099-INT for 2023.

Then, if you do receive a Form 1099-INT for 2024, you can either amend the 2023 return or keep the Form 1099-INT for your records in the event that the IRS questions why it was not reported.  Just keep good notes and documentation of what you report and which tax return it was reported on.

If you do report the interest income on your 2023 return, simply show the payer as US Treasury with the interest amount reported in box 1.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies