Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I receive a K-1 for an estate inheritance every year till the estate is closed? That is, even if there was no money paid out or taxable income for the estate.

We've received a K-1 for tax years 2016 and 2017 but the Executor says we won't get one for 2018 even though the estate hasn't closed.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I receive a K-1 for an estate inheritance every year till the estate is closed? That is, even if there was no money paid out or taxable income for the estate.

"Should I receive a K-1 for an estate inheritance every year till the estate is closed?"

No. There is no point in issuing a K-1 if the estate has nothing to pass through to the beneficiary(ies) because it has no items of income, gain, deduction, credit or if the estate pays any and all income tax due.

Some fiduciaries prepare a Form 1041 and issue blank K-1s to their beneficiaries even in circumstances where it is neither required nor necessary just to let them know nothing will be passed through from the estate (or trust) and, hence, they will not have to report anything on their personal income tax returns. In this case, however, the executor has already made you aware that no K-1 will be issued.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

"Should I receive a K-1 for an estate inheritance every year till the estate is closed?"

No. There is no point in issuing a K-1 if the estate has nothing to pass through to the beneficiary(ies) because it has no items of income, gain, deduction, credit or if the estate pays any and all income tax due.

Some fiduciaries prepare a Form 1041 and issue blank K-1s to their beneficiaries even in circumstances where it is neither required nor necessary just to let them know nothing will be passed through from the estate (or trust) and, hence, they will not have to report anything on their personal income tax returns. In this case, however, the executor has already made you aware that no K-1 will be issued.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies