Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

evan_noel

Should I file my W2 if I know my name is spelled incorrectly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Of course, you should. As long as the SSN is correct, and even then the IRS is pretty good at catching small mistakes with SSN numbers, and misspelled names, especially if you've ever paid taxes in the past. Just fill in the correct spelling of your name. You'd be surprised how many mistakes the IRS fixes without informing the taxpayer.

If the name has a big spelling error you can always have your employer send you out a corrected W-2 called a W-2 C. It's a quick process, and they can email or text it to you. A friend of mine had an incorrect address and his employer fixed it asap. You will need to file an extension if you go this route, so you don't end up paying your taxes late, unless you don't mind the late fee. The failure-to-file penalty is usually five percent of the tax owed for each month, or part of a month that your return is late, up to a maximum of 25%.

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

If your Social Security number is correct on the W-2, then a spelling error should not cause an issue.  You should go ahead and contact your employer (if you still work there) to be sure that the spelling is corrected in their system so that it won't happen again for 2024.

If you have not already filed your return, you should do so as soon as possible since the deadline for filing or filing an extension was April 15th.

@evan_noel 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies