Should I enter tax money withheld but not marked in 1099-Misc. form I received from a lawsuit settlement. Payer didn't have SS# at time check was written & will not help?

Received a lawsuit settlement of $774 & a check for $504 with a incomplete 1099-misc. form  / statement. Payer did not have my SS# at the time the check was written. How do we get credit for withholdings (35%) payer withheld. Can we assume 28% was held for Fed. & remainder for state?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Coleen3

I don't know that you can assume anything in regard to a payer who refuses to answer questions about how he prepared a federal information form. Do you have any proof any withholding was deducted and paid into the IRS? If so, there is a place you can indicate this.

• Go to Deductions and Credits
  • Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Other income taxes
  • Other income taxes paid in 2016
  • Withholding not on W-2 or 1099

Coleen3

• Go to Deductions and Credits
  • Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Other income taxes
  • Other income taxes paid in 2016
  • Withholding not on W-2 or 1099

I only have proof of the withholding, (773 -270=503). Do I need to advise the IRS these funds are there in my name without my SS#? How do I do that?