Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I enter tax money withheld but not marked in 1099-Misc. form I received from a lawsuit settlement. Payer didn't have SS# at time check was written & will not help?

Received a lawsuit settlement of $774 & a check for $504 with a incomplete 1099-misc. form  / statement. Payer did not have my SS# at the time the check was written. How do we get credit for withholdings (35%) payer withheld. Can we assume 28% was held for Fed. & remainder for state?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Should I enter tax money withheld but not marked in 1099-Misc. form I received from a lawsuit settlement. Payer didn't have SS# at time check was written & will not help?

I don't know that you can assume anything in regard to a payer who refuses to answer questions about how he prepared a federal information form. Do you have any proof any withholding was deducted and paid into the IRS? If so, there is a place you can indicate this.

• Go to Deductions and Credits
  • Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Other income taxes
  • Other income taxes paid in 2016
  • Withholding not on W-2 or 1099

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

I don't know that you can assume anything in regard to a payer who refuses to answer questions about how he prepared a federal information form. Do you have any proof any withholding was deducted and paid into the IRS? If so, there is a place you can indicate this.

• Go to Deductions and Credits
  • Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • Other income taxes
  • Other income taxes paid in 2016
  • Withholding not on W-2 or 1099

I only have proof of the withholding, (773 -270=503). Do I need to advise the IRS these funds are there in my name without my SS#? How do I do that?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies