Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

us096760

Should I be required to pay taxes on payment received for surrendering my long term care certificate. The policy was "Tax Qualified".

I was told by the provided that I would not be receiving a 1099 since the policy  was tax qualified.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Should I be required to pay taxes on payment received for surrendering my long term care certificate. The policy was "Tax Qualified".

No, tax qualified long term care benefits are not considered taxable income.

@us096760 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Received a payment for surrendering LTC policies.  Company reported on a 1099MISC.  There was a tax benefit of only $2909 during the 22 years the policy was in force.  Where do I enter an adjustment for income received that is not taxable?

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Enter a negative amount in Other Reportable Income.   If you need to report income (or an adjustment) not on a tax from, you can enter it in the Other Reportable Income section of TurboTax.   Follow the path below to get to that entry spot in TurboTax.   All you need to enter is the amount (negative; -2909) and a description.  

• Personal Taxes/Federal Taxes -  depending on what version you are using  >>
  • Personal Income/Wages & Income  >>
  • Less Common Income - last section  >>
  • Miscellaneous Income 1099-A, 1099-C  - last section in the list  >>
  • Other Reportable Income - last item in miscellaneous

The surrender of an insurance policy or endowment contract for its cash surrender value, as distinguished from an exchange of policies or contracts, results in taxable income where the amount received on surrender exceeds the premiums or consideration paid.  If you are receiving back the premiums you paid in, this is not taxable unless you have taken this premium as a tax-deductible medical expense in previous tax years.    @donnasmallory 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies