Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I be double taxed?

I have a question regarding my tax status on my companies’ RSU/ESPP. I am not a Chinese citizen and just relocated from Shanghai to the US in July 2020. My company asked me to sell all my RSU/ESPP that I acquired in China within 6 months after I arrived in the US, because of the regulation, all of that money needs to be routed back to China, changed to the Chinese currency, and taxed around 25% there.

Now when I am trying to sell them, I found my tax residency (W8) has been expired in July, but I was asked to update to W9 as I am working in the US now. I was told that I have to pay around 30% tax in the US additionally under W9. So that means I will be double taxed in both the US and China.

Is there any tax treaty between the US and China to avoid double taxing? I only stay in the US for 4 months this year,  can I keep my W8 this year and update to W9 next year?

BTW, those stocks are all acquired in the last 5 years when I worked in China before I arrived in the US in July.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Should I be double taxed?

@runfivenine , do you still need help on this post?   What is your  US immigration status  ( US citizen/ Resident / Resident for tax purposes ) -- if not a  citizen/Resident , what visa?  When in Shanghai were  you working for a US entity or a Chinese entity or what?

Please answer my questions, if you need help 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies