Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Setup for decedent returns 1040

Hi, I have to file a 1040 for my parent who passed away in 2023. I am named as the trustee, and personal representative of the pour over will.  I want to do DIY Premium or Live Assist. How do I set this up?

For the 1040:

- Do I set up a TurboTax account in the name of the decedent? Or should the TT account be in my name?

- How do I show the IRS that I have the authority to file? Do the trust and pour-over docs will have to be notarized again, do they have to be mailed in with the return?

- Do I sign as personal representative? Only rela property was in the trust and it was not sold so only non-trust assets are reported.

- It appears 2021 and 2022 decedent 1040 returns were not filed by the decendent. Can I just file those under the same TurboTax account I set up for 2023?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Setup for decedent returns 1040

Yes, you set up the TurboTax account in the name of your deceased parent, but using your own contact information. 

You don't usually have to mail in any documents to establish your right to file the tax returns, but it depends on the complexity of the return, whether there is an estate, and whether there is a refund. 

If there is a refund, you will have to file Form 1310 to claim the refund. TurboTax will guide you through that process, and once it is complete, you will know if you have to submit a death certificate, or other paperwork with the return. 

If there is a $0 balance, or tax due, you just file and pay, no extra steps.

Yes, you can sign as the personal representative. 

If you aren't sure whether the prior years were filed, you should try to verify whether the 2021 and 2022 were filed by requesting an IRS account transcript. Follow this link to do that. 

If you do need to file those returns, you do so in by purchasing the programs for those years as a disc or download. Start here. 

I am very sorry for your loss. If you have more questions, please feel free to reach out again. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies