Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self Employed Car and Truck Expenses Worksheet and Mileage Rate

Hi....I am using TurboTax Self-Employed - the online version. I believe the software is making errors.

(1) I have read a lot of questions about this one last year and there was no satisfactory answer - CALCULATION OF THE PERCENTAGE OF BUSINESS USE. The numbers TurboTax ends up with do not correspond to the clear instructions on the form or IRS guidance (which I have thoroughly read). The percentage should be arrived at by dividing business miles by total miles (that is printed on the form and it is in countless publications on the subject). The numbers TurboTax produces for me are not even in the ballpark of the correct numbers.

(2) I can't believe I came back to TurboTax. I was burned by a flat-out software error last year and I've got another one this year. THE STANDARD MILEAGE RATE. The software uses the wrong rate and even prints the wrong rate right on the form. The rate should be 56 cents per mile and the software uses 58 cents per mile. There's really nothing to discuss on this. It is wrong and it needs to be fixed.

(3) TURBOTAX HELP. Is there such a thing? I DON'T need tax advice and don't expect to pay for helping TurboTax fix software errors. But, it seems there is no way to get technical help (short of calling and spending hours trying to make headway with several people). The community is helpful but it isn't always right and it isn't the company. Shame on you, TurboTax for not adequately supporting your product.

SIGNED a frustrated CPA and lawyer with years of experience preparing tax returns

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies