Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schwab 1099-B reported on incorrect FEIN

I have the following scenario would appreciate some advice. My Mom passed away in July 2023. She had a brokerage account at Schwab. Before I could get the new irrevocable trust account setup with the Trust's FEIN at Schwab and get everything moved over, 50 shares of stock sold due to some sort of buyout. The sale was not the result of any action by me, but rather just happened on it's own. This sale occurred 2 weeks after DOD.

Schwab has reported this profit on my Mom's 1099-B using her SSN. Not on the new Trust FEIN. And despite being on hold and on the phone with them for over 2 hours they insist they've reported this correctly and refuse to issue a correction. Is this reported correctly? Everything I've read says income should not be reported on a deceased person's SSN after DOD.

Should I just report it on her return to make the computers happy? (since this 1099-B has been reported to the IRS), or should I not report it there but let it be reported on the Trust's return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If Schwab will not correct the 1099-B use code N which tells the iRS it was received as a nominee. then report on estate trust return after stepping up basis to FMV on date of death.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by "use code N".

BTW, the basis was stepped up, and they repoted the stepped-up basis on my Mom's 1099-B. I did her taxes with and without this stock sale and her taxes come out the same with and without it (because it was a small amount due to the basis being stepped-up), just as an FYI.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies