Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule E

I received a 1099nec and a 1099misc for mineral rights on my home address, do both get reported on schedule E or do I need to complete to 2 schedule Es?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Schedule E

To clarify, were these issued for the same set of mineral rights?

@mvsickles 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule E

Yes

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Schedule E

If you received Form 1099-NEC reporting income in Box 1 that relates to a Lease Bonus for your property, you would report this on Form 1040 Line 8 Other Income. Enter this 1099 under Wages & Income >> Other Common Income >> Form 1099-NEC. Indicate this is sporadic (one-time) income.

Form 1099-MISC Box 2 is for Royalties that are reported on Schedule E. Enter this 1099 under Wages & Income >> Rental Properties & Royalties (Sch E). Add a new property and designate it as Royalty, using the property address, with oil & gas income. Follow the prompts to the page "Let's enter the income for [Property Name]." Click the box for Form 1099-MISC then enter the information from the form.

Take note of any deductions that may be listed on the 1099 for severance/production taxes. These should be added as expenses for your royalty property. Also, if you paid property taxes for the mineral rights separately from your residence property taxes, those costs may be included as well.

Note that passive royalty income is generally not qualified for QBI under Sec 199A. TurboTax will ask you about this. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies