Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gdpierce01
Returning Member

Schedule D long term capital loss carryover amounts incorrect from 2022 to 2023 return

I first used Schedule D for a long term property loss of $17,522 on my TY2018 return (in TurboTax). The carryover amount has been decreasing by $3000/year as reflected on the Capital Loss Carryforward Worksheet. However on my 2022 return, the loss was down to $5522 with the $3000 deduction taken, but the carryforward amount remained at $5522 instead of $2522.  So my return this year shows $5522 on L15 of Schedule D - the same amount on the same line shown on TY2022 return. In addition, the Capital Loss Carryforward Worksheet provided this year still shows $5522 for my long term loss to carryforward to the 2024 return - it's not decreasing!

The deduction for the loss has been applied for TY2018-TY2022, so $15K has been taken. This should be the last year for the deduction with the remaining amount of $2522 but it's giving me the full $3000 since it's not calculating the yearly decrease correctly. Please report this programming error.

I'll go ahead and submit this year but with TurboTax still thinking I have $5522 to carryforward to 2024, I hope it will let me skip Schedule D for TY2024.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies