Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sale of Rental, thought I was done, I was wrong... PALs??

I purchased a home in 2006.  In 2013 I placed it into service as a rental.  I rented it 1/1/2013 thru 12/31/2022.  I did not rent it at all in 2023, nor did I use it.  It sat on the market vacant and for sale, and it did sell.

Now, as I do my 2023 taxes I can't complete a Sch E because I didn't even try to rent it, let alone generate any income or expenses as it sold in January 2023.  I completed a Sch D and a 4797.  Gross proceeds are my 1099-S, Cost Basis is my original purchase price + improvements + sales expenses.  Adjusted Cost Basis is my Cost Basis - Depreciation.  My questions is, how/where do I recoup Unallowed PALs?  I have ~$13k in prior years unallowed PALs.  TurboTax won't allow me to manually complete 8582 and adding Sch E just to populate 8582 doesn't make sense since I never even tried to rent it in 2023.  Also, even if I completed 8582 I don't see anywhere on 4797 to add the unallowed PALs to the calculations.  I know I can recoup the unallowed PALs since I sold all my interest in the property, but I have no idea how to account for them.

Any ideas? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Sale of Rental, thought I was done, I was wrong... PALs??

upon total disposition of the rental, any PALs allocated to that rental should be allowed in full but you need to use that Schedule E  worksheet for the property because that's where Turbotax stores the data on the suspended PAls.  also all the data for the property is there which should make reporting the disposition easier. For rental days/personal use days enter 0 for both and check the complete disposition box.

the allowed PAL should show up on schedule e in the column for that property on line 22

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies