Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of Magellan shares to OKE Rolled to E*Trade

I have never encountered this situation before and I'm at a loss on how to report this in Turbo Tax.  I received a statement from E*Trade reporting the proceeds from the sale.  I also received a K1.  Seems if I enter both I'm getting taxed twice. Where do I begin with this?  Etrade 1.pngEtrade 2.pngK1 1.pngK1 2.pngK1 3.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Sale of Magellan shares to OKE Rolled to E*Trade

Enter the K-1 as you always have, EXCEPT when it asks you about the sale (in the K-1 interview) you're going to make entries to prevent the K-1 from seeing any Cap Gain/Loss.  That way, it won't create a duplicate 8949.

When it asks you about the sale, enter the Ordinary Income on the appropriate line.  There are 2 boxes, one for Regular and one for AMT.  Looking at your forms, you'd use 80,550 and 68,913.  On the basis line, enter the inverse of that:  -80,550 and -68,913.  Then enter 0 for sales price. 

Once done, the next screen will show you 0s for Cap Gain, and no duplicate 8949 will be created.  However, doing this will get the Ord Income onto Form 4797.

Then you go over to your 1099-B from E-Trade and adjust the basis.  Using your sales schedule, your correct sales price will be column 4 + column 5 + column 7.  That will get the Cap Gain figured correctly.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies