Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Sale of Inherited Home

Awesome, thank you, tagteam. 

Sale of Inherited Home

Here's one final follow up question, tagteam. The sale of the house took a while b/c the Executrix is disabled, then there were buyer delays, but the house sold 2 years and 1 week after Date of Death, all Estate assets transferred a few weeks later. and the Estate closed. This is a First and Final 1041. Question 8 of Other Information reads, "If the decedent's estate has been open for more than 2 years, attach an explanation for the delay in closing the estate." If the Estate is closed, does this question even apply? If so, I will attach a Statement (then I have to paper file). If not, I will e-file. What would you do?

Sale of Inherited Home

I'd probably just e-file and see what happens since it's only been 1 week past the two-year mark.

Sale of Inherited Home

You are the best, tagteam, thanks for the quick reply! I think I'm good to go now. I really appreciate the help!

Sale of Inherited Home

So, tagteam, I was ready to e-file, got th Executor to sign the 8453 FE form (which you can attach through TurboTax), but now TurboTax has checked the box for Question 8 of Other Information and will not allow me to uncheck it (re the Estate has been open for more than 2 years). It must "read the dates" once it gets ready to File, and now I can't uncheck it.  It's probably b/c I'm using Calendar Year for 2023, and TurboTax reads the DOD of 8/31/2021 and "knows" it's a more than 2 year period.

So I guess we have to paper file, ironically, b/c TurboTax won't allow me to attach that explanatory statement for Question 8 of Other Information. Unless you know a workaround to uncheck the box?

Sale of Inherited Home

@LK2023

In that event, you're better off printing and mailing the return with an explanatory statement.

You could do an override but that would likely prevent you from e-filing, regardless.

Sale of Inherited Home

Okay, thank you tagteam. Thank you so much for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies