Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of Inherited home with Multiple Beneficiaries

How do I report my individual portion of the sale of inherited property by 5 beneficiaries when the 1099-S only shows gross proceeds of $375,000. I am confused about how to report my individual portion of the sale of the home when the Form 8949 Instructions state that I must use the exact amount ($375,000) as stated in the 1099-S as the proceeds in the Form 8949 and what to enter in the rest of the form as well as the Schedule D and still show consistency with the 1099-S.

Background:

Mother died -1/12/2023.

Death Appraisal 04/11/2023 $445,000.

Probate Court approves Quit Claim Deed for the 5 beneficiaries 05/31/2023 and approval to sell home.

Home sold with closing on 08/31/2023.

Gross Selling price $375,000

Seller Costs $44,023 but includes the $21,644 for which the 5 beneficiaries were reimbursed by individual checks for some expenses.

Copies of 1099-S, showing only $375,000 gross proceeds, were provided to the 5 beneficiaries at the end of closing.

There is no 1099-B. The Basis has not been reported to the IRS. The Executor is one of the beneficiaries and is not filing an Estate Tax Return, and there is no Nominee to submit Form 8971 and Schedule A's.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Enter only your share of the sales price, unreimbursed sales expenses, and basis (appraised value). Keep a copy of Form 1099-B in your tax file for this year, as well as all the inheritance information, in case the IRS has questions.

To enter this in TurboTax:

1. Go to Federal Taxes >> Wages and Income >>Investments and Saving >Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B)
  2. Click Revisit/Start
  3. Choose to enter the information yourself
  4. Click 1099-S and Continue
  5. Type in a name for the sale
  6. Choose type of investment you sold: Second Home from drop-down.
  7. Follow the interview to enter your share of the Second Home Sale Information. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Enter only your share of the sales price, unreimbursed sales expenses, and basis (appraised value). Keep a copy of Form 1099-B in your tax file for this year, as well as all the inheritance information, in case the IRS has questions.

To enter this in TurboTax:

1. Go to Federal Taxes >> Wages and Income >>Investments and Saving >Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other (1099-B)
  2. Click Revisit/Start
  3. Choose to enter the information yourself
  4. Click 1099-S and Continue
  5. Type in a name for the sale
  6. Choose type of investment you sold: Second Home from drop-down.
  7. Follow the interview to enter your share of the Second Home Sale Information. 

We did not get a 1099-B; only the 1099-S with gross proceeds. Do I still do what you described? Thanks.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Yes. 

1. In the search box, search for sold second home and select the Jump to link at the top of the search results.
  2. Answer Yes on the Did you sell any investments in 2023? screen.
    • If you land on the Your investment sales summary screen, select Add More Sales.
  3. On the Did you get a 1099-B or a brokerage statement for these sales? screen, select No.
  4. On the Tell us about this sale screen, select I’ll enter one sale at a time, and enter Other 
  5. Enter the remaining info for your sale and continue through the screens until you reach Here’s all the investment accounts we have so far.

Where do I enter the sale of a second home, an inherited home, or land on my 2023 taxes?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies