Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

S-Corp K-1, Box 15, Code B - Adjustment to Section 1250 Gain or Section 1231 Gain?

I'm entering my S-Corp K-1 details into my personal tax return. Under Box 15, I have losses listed in both Code A and B. In the next screen, TurboTax is asking the following:

Enter the dollar amount of the adjusted gain or loss reported on box 15, Code B of your K-1

• Adjustment to Section 1250 Gain _____
  • Adjustment to Section 1231 Gain _____

I've looked through my S-Corp tax return and I can't find anything in the lines that mention either Section 1250 or Section 1231.

If I leave both boxes blank and move on to the next page, it looks like TurboTax automatically fills in the "Adjustment to Section 1231" box with the loss amount from Box 15, Code B. Is this correct? Or should I put 0 in both boxes? Or something else?

Can someone please advise? Happy to provide any additional details if necessary. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

S-Corp K-1, Box 15, Code B - Adjustment to Section 1250 Gain or Section 1231 Gain?

you need to leave in 15A and B. these are adjustments for alternative minimum tax purposed 15A flows to 6251 line 2l.  15B can be either 1231 or 1250, or even some of each but it doesn't matter which you use.   

from k-1 instructions for 15B

Code B. Adjusted gain or loss. This amount is your share of the corporation's adjusted gain or loss. If you are an individual shareholder, report this amount on Form 6251, line 2k. for various reasons the amount you enter for 15B and what appears on 2k may be different. there is a 6251 worksheet where 2k is calculated. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

you need to leave in 15A and B. these are adjustments for alternative minimum tax purposed 15A flows to 6251 line 2l.  15B can be either 1231 or 1250, or even some of each but it doesn't matter which you use.   

from k-1 instructions for 15B

Code B. Adjusted gain or loss. This amount is your share of the corporation's adjusted gain or loss. If you are an individual shareholder, report this amount on Form 6251, line 2k. for various reasons the amount you enter for 15B and what appears on 2k may be different. there is a 6251 worksheet where 2k is calculated. 

Got it - so just to clarify, it doesn't matter if I use 1250 or 1231 but they just have to total up to whatever is listed in 15B?

Out of curiosity, what if input $0 into each box for 1250 and 1231? Is that incorrect?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies