Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RSU Vest reporting

I had both RSUs vest in 2023 and I sold them in 2023.  I understand the tax implications for both. Upon vesting, my company sold a portion of the shares for tax purposes and the remainder were deposited in my brokerage account.  This is all on my W2 (the income from the vest and the taxes paid).  For the sale, I imported my 1099B and I have adjusted the cost basis, so all good there.  Here's my question.  Historically in TurboTax I have had to enter the number of shares vested, the amount withheld for taxes, and the final amount (and confirm it was on my W2).  I am not being asked this anywhere this year (I also notice that the stock sale screens were greatly simplified).  Am I not being asked about the vest because it is silly and unnecessary as it is already accounted for on my W2 and TurboTax just made it easier this year?  Or am I just missing it somewhere?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

RSU Vest reporting

The steps you mention were included to help you determine the cost basis to enter for the shares you sold. Usually the 1099-B form will report what you paid for the shares and not factor in the discount as reported on your W-2 form. It usually needs to be added onto the cost basis reported on the Form 1099-B. It looks like you have made that entry properly, so you don't need to be concerned about not entering the other information you mention.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies