Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

philplab

Roth IRA conversions

I have the same issue that many reported: I never get to this screen: 

Answer the questions on the following screens, until you reach Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions. Select Yes, make part of my IRA contribution nondeductible and Continue

I am retired. There should be no penalty for converting from my IRA to a Roth IRA. However, following the instructions provided does not resolve the issue on my 1040 and in fact I've had to go back to re-enter and correct other data multiple times as a result. 

I am very frustrated. Does anybody from Intuit read this stuff? I cannot find a phone number to talk with a human or a place to file a ticket.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Roth IRA conversions

what is the issue with your Form 1040?.

Doing a conversion to Roth is not difficult.

If you are expecting to avoid tax, that's a horse of a different color.

@philplab 

philplab

Roth IRA conversions

I am getting a penalty for an excess contribution as others in the thread note which is incorrect. The instructions to enter the Roth IRA backdoor are incorrect—at least when I follow them, I do not get the screens the instructions say should appear.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Roth IRA conversions

To verify, you made a traditional IRA contribution for 2022 and converted it in 2022.

Please be aware you need taxable compensation (wages, salary, self-employment income) to make IRA contributions. If you are only income is retirement distributions then you cannot make IRA contributions and will have an excess contribution.

If you are allowed to make IRA contributions and you are not getting the "Choose Not to Deduct IRA Contributions" screen, then this means you or your spouse had a retirement plan at work and your income is over the income limit and therefore the contribution to the traditional IRA is automatically nondeductible. You want the contribution to be nondeductible.

Excess contributions are taxed at 6% per year for each year the excess amounts remain in the IRA. To avoid the 6% tax on excess contributions, you must withdraw:

• the excess contributions from your IRA by the due date of your individual income tax return (including extensions); and
  • any income earned on the excess contribution.

Please see IRS IRA Contribution Limits for additional information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies