Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bluon

Roth IRA contribution is listed as too high

I used the TurboTax free edition to help do my son's 2023 taxes, which listed his AGI as $6,005. I was planning on making a contribution to a Roth IRA for him using that amount, but got the following message.

"You contributed $6,005 to a Roth, but your earned income was only $5,857. Roth contributions can't be more than earned income, which means you have an excess contribution of $148."

The $5,857 was all from his W-2's. The additional $148 was from a 1099-DIV and 1099-INT. If I understand correctly, IRA contributions are based on MAGI which is mostly the AGI with some potential things added back in. So if his AGI was $6,005, why is TurboTax telling me that I cannot contribute that amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Contributions to a Roth IRA are made from taxable compensation (earned income).

See page 38 of this IRS publication.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Contributions may be limited if total income (from all sources) is too high, but the contributions can only be made from compensation (income earned from working), either W-2 wages or self-employment. 

To avoid a penalty, you would have to remove the excess by the filing deadline with extensions.  Since the plan probably can't process a withdrawal in a couple of hours, I suggest you get the automatic extension online today.  Then, contact the broker to remove the excess.  You must also remove the earnings that can be allocated to the excess contribution (the broker knows to do this).  Those earning are taxable on this year's (2023) return even though you will get a 1099-R next year.  Report the withdrawal of excess by entering a "fake" 1099-R with the total withdrawal in box 1, the taxable earnings in box 2a, and use codes P and J in box 7.  The excess earnings are subject to income tax but not a penalty.

Or,

Leave the excess in the account and pay a 6% penalty.  Then in 2024, make sure his Roth contribution are at least $148 less than his maximum would otherwise be.  That will cause the 2023 excess to be applied to the 2024 limit.  By "using up" the excess in 2024, there will be no further penalty. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies