Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Return Rejected - IND-901

I've used Turbo Tax for many years. My husband passed away in 2021. In February 2022, I processed my 2021 taxes on Turbo Tax with no problems. My 2021 tax return shows my spouse as deceased. I tried to file my 2022 taxes today. Turbo Tax suggested that I create a new account since my filing status changed to single for 2022, which I did. When I went to file my 2022 taxes today, my e-file was rejected by the IRS as "THE PRIMARY SSN IN THE RETURN HEADER HAS BEEN LOCKED BECAUSE SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION RECORDS INDICATE THE NUMBER BELONGS TO A DECEASED INDIVIDUAL". I called the SSA right away. They do NOT show me as deceased. I am very much alive and active. I can only assume something in Turbo Tax software still has my husband's old SSN as part of my file, even though I created my own account. How is that possible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Return Rejected - IND-901

A new return should only have your entered information. Filing as single, his information would not be on the return anywhere.  Please go back to the Personal Info section and double check your social. If it is truly correct, you will need to mail in your return.

See: Where to File - Forms 

The IRS states:

Business Rule IND-901 

The Primary SSN in the Return Header has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual.

Error Missing, incomplete or erroneous entry on Forms 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ 

Solution IRS and Social Security records indicate the Primary Social Security Number (SSN) you entered belongs to a deceased individual. 

 Check the Primary name and Social Security Number you have entered on the return with your Social Security card. 

 Please correct any errors.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies