Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

BSC555
Returning Member

Return cannot be e-filed - Illinois

Hello,

After filling out my state return, I receive the error "Return cannot be e-filed when the sum of Illinois wages plus out of state wages on all W-2s does not equal total wages reported on IL Schedule CR."

I have two W-2s.  One is a resident in IL working for an IL company. The other is working in IL remotely for an Oregon company.  However, on my W-2 for the Oregon company, box 15 State) shows "IL".  Technically, my company does have a building in Illinois (not technically an office). I am not sure if that matters or changes anything here.  

There are two things I have tried that fixed the issue. However, I am not sure if either of these are the way to go where I could potentially run into problems down the road. It looks to me that the amount in box 16 on my Oregon company's W-2 is being double counted.

1) If I remove the row regarding state wages and taxes from my Oregon company's W-2, the error message goes away and I can e-file. 

2) When filing my Oregon (nonresident) tax return, I select 0 wages for Oregon under the "Oregon Source Income and Adjustments" screen.  

Any help would be appreciated! 

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

if your domicile is Illinois all your wages are taxable in Illinois.

in this case Oregon would only tax nonresident employees for services performed in Oregon, It seems you would have to be physically present for your wages to be taxable there

form orgon tax booklet'

Nonresidents
If you were domiciled outside Oregon and lived outside Oregon for the entire year, you were a nonresident of Oregon. If you are a nonresident, Oregon taxes only income you earned in Oregon and received from
Oregon sources. I

BSC555
Returning Member

I guess I'm slightly confused on what changes I have to make.  So since I wasn't physically present, Oregon doesn't tax me? So, when filing the nonresident Oregon Source Income, I would put $0 under my wages?

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies