Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CharTSO

Response to IRS Notice

Several months after filing my taxes and expecting a refund of about $390, I received a notice from the IRS saying that I owed about $800 more.  In fact it said that it was a collection notice, claiming that they had sent a previous notice, which I had not received.  I contacted Turbo Tax and was put in touch with their Audit Defense service.  I had paid extra money for Audit Defense.  

Although my notice was not named an "Audit", it was a Collection.  After looking at my situation, Audit Defense simply said I should what the IRS said I owed.  They said they didn't handle collections, only audits.  I wonder how the IRS might conclude I owed more with doing an audit.

Since I trusted what the Turbo Tax system, I believed I didn't owe anymore money.

I spend some very stressful time on the phone with several people at the IRS who in the end concluded that I didn't owe anymore money.  They essentially said it was their error.  I have since received my original refund amount, plus interest.

I don't think I will use Turbo Tax or their Audit Defense again because they gave me bad advice.  I saved myself $800 by handling it myself, which I don't believe I should have had to do.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Response to IRS Notice

Your contacting the IRS for an explanation was the correct response. 

CharTSO

Response to IRS Notice

The advice I received was NOT ‘contact the irs’.  It was ‘pay what the irs wanted to collect’. If I followed that advice I would have paid $800+ that I did not owe.  It seems Turbo Tax wants to take the easiest simplest answer without analyzing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies