Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Residential Solar Credit Recapture

I installed and paid for Solar & Batteries in 2022 and took the federal tax credit in 2022. I still have carryover credit for 2023. I received a SGIP rebate in 2023 from my utility which is not taxable but reduces my initial system cost. I thus need to reduce my carryover federal tax credit by 30% of the $2911.80 rebate I received.

IRS Form 4255 for ITC Solar Recapture does not seem to have instructions that apply to my situation.

I’m thinking of entering “SGIP Rebate Solar Recapture $2911.80 * 30%” on Schedule 2 Line 17Z (Other Taxes) and entering the amount of $874.00.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

My suggestion is to reduce the carryforward amount in the program. As you navigate through your program, there should be a screen asking you what your 2022 carryover amount was.  If you completed your 2022 return in Turbo Tax, this amount should pre-populate.  If it does, then reduce the carryover amount by reducing it by $874.

If this did not repopulate and this entry is blank, then put in the correct carryover amount into this space taking in account for the reduction in the credit after the rebate. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

My suggestion is to reduce the carryforward amount in the program. As you navigate through your program, there should be a screen asking you what your 2022 carryover amount was.  If you completed your 2022 return in Turbo Tax, this amount should pre-populate.  If it does, then reduce the carryover amount by reducing it by $874.

If this did not repopulate and this entry is blank, then put in the correct carryover amount into this space taking in account for the reduction in the credit after the rebate. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. That sounds like a better solution. I was nervous that I had to document the carryover credit reduction but the IRS shouldn't care if I reduce my carryover credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies