Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Residential lease to own

For the last 3 years, I have been in a housing lease to own agreement with a large company. My lease contains a price at which I can buy the house at anytime. It has appreciated significantly over the last 3 years so there is quite a bit of equity. 
If I were to exercise my right to purchase and then sell the property, do I qualify for the exclusion on capital gains since I have occupied the property longer than 2 years? Or will I be taxed with short term capital gains?

Also, if I am taxed, can I count my 3 years of lease payments into my cost basis?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Residential lease to own

The law

26USC121(a)Exclusion

Gross income shall not include gain from the sale or exchange of property if, during the 5-year period ending on the date of the sale or exchange, such property has been owned and used by the taxpayer as the taxpayer’s principal residence for periods aggregating 2 years or more.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/121

Short cap gain- owned short time.

Depends on lease. Any payments towards a purchase price?

Carl
Level 15

Residential lease to own

In addition to being your primary residence for at least 2 of the last 5 years, you also must have owned the property during those two or more years. In order to qualify for the exclusion you would have to wait at least 2 years after closing on the purchase, while still living in the property during those two years after closing on the purchase, in order to qualify for the exclusion.

Residential lease to own

based on what you provided the home sale exclusion would not be available to you. there are two basic rules. occupancy for 2 of 5 years before the sale which based on your statement you meet and ownership for 2 out of 5 years before the sale which you do not meet. you don't own it until you close on the purchase. sale shortly after purchase would be short-term capital gain which would get taxed at whatever bracket you are in. The price at which you can buy the house for is your tax basis,  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies