Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mevo930

Reporting Short Term and Long Term Disability Payments

My husband received 26 weeks of short term disability pay from his employer through their regular payroll in 2022. This pay was subject to all normal withholding and FICA taxes as well as payroll deductions for medical insurance, flex spending, and 401K. The short term disability payments are included on his employer W2 with wages from working, vacation pay (nothing is broken out, the W2 looks as if he worked as normal during this time). After the 26 weeks of employer pay, he started receiving third party sick pay through the long term disability insurance provider as part of his union's contract. It is my understanding that the long term disability payments are subject to federal and state withholding but not FICA taxes. We will have to pay back the long term disability payments once his social security disability application is approved. My question is whether the 26 weeks of short term disability paid with his wages by his employer need to be broken out and reported separately on our taxes or if simply reporting what is on the W2 is correct. This is a new situation for us and I want to be sure that I am not missing anything.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

The short-term disability tax information reported on the W-2 is all that is needed for you to report.  While you are correct on the Long-Term Disability, the way the differentiate (long or short) makes it easier.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mevo930

The amount of short term disability from his employer is lumped into the same number as his wages in box 1 of his W2. Nothing is broken out at all on the W2. There is nothing at all on the W2 indicating that dollars paid to him include short term disability. If you looked at the W2 you would have no idea that any of those wages were not for his labor or vacation time. Is reporting the entire amount from W2 box 1 on line 1a of the 1040 correct in this situation?  

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Yes, you would report the amounts shown on the W-2 without any changes. These would be transferred to Line 1a of  Form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies