turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Calmal

REPORTING SCHOLARSHIP INFO

My daughter received a college scholarship for the 2023 school year from a local law firm. The law firm sent her a form 1099-NEC with the reported amount, which must be claimed on her state taxes, but is not federally taxed and therefore does not need to be reported on her federal return (I confirmed that with an IRS agent).  My issue is that when I input the info from the 1099-NEC, it  automatically applies the “income” to both her state AND federal taxes. How can I input the 1099-NEC info and have it apply to her state taxes only?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

To clarify, what state?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Calmal

California. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Scholarship income is taxable income on a federal return as well as on a California State return unless it's offset by educational expenses reported in a 1098T. If there is more scholarship income than educational expense, the excess is taxable income.  If there is no 1098 T, then the entire scholarship amount is taxable in both jurisdictions. 

To report your 1099 NEC scholarship amount, you can enter it two ways so you won't be reporting in Schedule C. 

If You received a 1098T and claim an educational credit:

1. With your return open, go to federal
  2. Deductions and Credits
  3. Education
  4. Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098T)

You may have already recorded the 1098T so you will continue until the reach a screen that says Scholarship and Financial Aid.  Here is where you enter the scholarship information. Next question asks if you received a scholarship or grant.  Here you will say yes. then a drop down appears, you will enter the amount of the 1099 NEC either as other scholarships and grants or Employer-provided Assistance.

If you did not receive a 1098T, go to:

1. Federal 
  2. Wages and income
  3. 1099 MISC and Other Common Income
  4. Income from 1099 NEC
  5. When you enter the reason for the income, indicate it is Scholarship income
  6. The next screen is critical.  It asks if one of These uncommon Situations Apply. Here you will say "This is not money earned by an employee or self-employed individual.... Selecting will keep this 1099 NEC from being reported as self-employed income,

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies