Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting Late Backdoor Roth IRA Contributions in TurboTax

I'm in the process of completing a late backdoor Roth IRA contribution, and I'd like guidance on how to report it in TurboTax accurately.

My spouse performed a backdoor Roth IRA contribution for 2023 and 2024 simultaneously in 2024. Specifically, she invested $6500 for the previous year (2023) and $7000 for the current year (2024). Furthermore, she accrued $6.59 in interest in her traditional IRA account before converting all funds (including $6.59 interest) to a Roth IRA account.

Could someone please outline the steps to report these late backdoor Roth IRA contributions in TurboTax properly? I also need assistance on accounting for the interest gained before the late backdoor Roth contributions. 

I'm using TurboTax Deluxe Downloaded Software on Mac to file taxes and need guidance on accurately reporting late backdoor Roth IRA contributions.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

For the 2023 tax return, all you need to report is the 2023 non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution of $6500.  Everything else will be reported on the 2024 tax return.

In 2024, you will report the 2024 non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution of $7000 and enter the information from Form 1099-R that will be issued to you in January 2025.  The Form 1099-R will show the total distribution amount including the income that was earned.  After you enter the Form 1099-R and indicate that the distribution was converted to a Roth IRA, only the income amount will be taxable.

Here are the step by step instructions for reporting a back door Roth IRA conversion in TurboTax.  Only complete step 1 for your 2023 tax return.

How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

For the 2023 tax return, all you need to report is the 2023 non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution of $6500.  Everything else will be reported on the 2024 tax return.

In 2024, you will report the 2024 non-deductible Traditional IRA contribution of $7000 and enter the information from Form 1099-R that will be issued to you in January 2025.  The Form 1099-R will show the total distribution amount including the income that was earned.  After you enter the Form 1099-R and indicate that the distribution was converted to a Roth IRA, only the income amount will be taxable.

Here are the step by step instructions for reporting a back door Roth IRA conversion in TurboTax.  Only complete step 1 for your 2023 tax return.

How do I enter a backdoor Roth IRA conversion?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for quick reply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies